Below we have provided the answers to the most commonly asked questions about our Radar Speed Sign. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact our team.
Questions about the effectiveness of the EVOLIS Radar Speed Signs
How does the Radar Speed Displayaccurately measure speed?
The EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign is equipped with a Doppler antenna that emits magnetic waves at a certain frequency. These waves bounce off the oncoming vehicle and are sent back to the Radar Speed Sign at a slightly different rate than when they were generated. This difference enables the radar to accurately calculate the vehicle’s speed, which is then relayed to its LED displays. The speed is measured in real time and the display is updated every 1.2 seconds to maintain transparency and accuracy.
What types of speeding can be assessed effectively with this method?
The EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign is effective against all types of speeding and works in double ways:
– When a vehicle exceeds the speed limit by less than 10 mph, the speed is displayed in red and the message SLOW DOWN. At this speed, drivers are not always aware that they are driving too fast. The visual stimulation of the Radar Speed Sign alerts them to their excess speed so they consciously slow down.
– If the vehicle exceeds the speed limit by more than 10 mph, the speed is not displayed. Instead, the driver will observe a DANGER message. This signal instantly alerts the driver to the danger, and reminds them to reduce speed.
What are the results of installing the EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign?
Our clients have reported that speeding incidents are reduced by more than 25% as a result of installing an EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign in their town. So why is the EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign so effective? Firstly, the sign has a large detection range and it is visible under all weather conditions. Secondly, the sign has a proven psychological impact on the behavior of drivers who respond to the dynamic display by reducing their speed.
According to a study, the number of speed-related offenses drop by around 50% when users pass a Radar Speed Display, while 25% of those motorists still confuse this sign with its repressive version. Moreover, making a motorist’s speed visible to other road users (pedestrians, cyclists or other motorists) also contributes to the effectiveness of the speed display.
How reliable is the displayed speed?
A reliable Radar Speed Sign must have an antenna with sufficient range and be able to display the measured speed on a regular basis. All antennas used in Elan City products are subjected to rigorous quality testing, which guarantee an accuracy of +/- 1%.
Questions about the installation of the EVOLIS Solution
What is the average cost of installing the EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign?
The average cost of a Radar Speed Sign installation (excluding supplies) depends mainly on the type of power supply you choose:
– For a solar or mobile power supply, the only additional price that is not included by our company is the pole and pole straps to attach the sign to. This price can vary from region and time period. We recommend using an existing pole to attach our sign to with the universal mounting bar we provide. – For an A/C power supply, the only additional price for installing the Radar Speed Sign on an existing pole is the connection to the power supply.
Our Radar Speed Signs are designed to be installed directly by the client, which significantly reduces the cost of installation.
Can a town hall install its EVOLIS Radar Speed Display independently?
Yes, a local municipality can install a Radar Speed Sign independently, which saves a great deal of money. Solar-powered Radar Speed Displays do not require any special skills for installation and can be installed by one person. In contrast, the A/C versions require electrical clearance as they are connected like Christmas decorations (electrical clearance required). The EVOLIS Radar Speed Sign does not require any specific angle adjustment, as it is sufficient to place it perpendicular to the axis of the road.
Questions on the typology of EVOLIS Solution customers
Who is installing Radar Speed Signs?
All types of communities may be required to install Radar Speed Signs: groups of municipalities, police departments, urban communities, private communities, logistic centers.
However, the signs are mostly purchased for municipalities with fewer than 5,000 inhabitants, as they are most vulnerable to speeding problems (e.g. crossing of secondary roads). Radar Speed Displays are therefore the ideal solution for road safety, in terms of the investment/result ratio.
Why install a Radar Speed Sign in your community?
The main motivation for elected officials to install a Radar Speed Sign in their municipality is to regulate road traffic, by raising awareness of speeding among motorists, so they make an informed decision to slow down, rather than through a repressive action.
– Responding to requests from residents to reduce noise pollution,
– Improving the safety of a particular location, such as schools zones and hazardous areas
– Collecting traffic statistics (average and maximum speeds, number of vehicles, 85th percentile Speed, etc.) to implement specific actions related to traffic and road safety
– Enforcing speed limits and local regulations
Is the EVOLIS Solution well accepted by users and local residents?
Yes, they are! Radar Speed Signs have a good reputation and a positive image as residents become aware of their own speed, making them accountable without punishing them.
Studies confirm the data that for 90% of respondents, Radar Speed Signs are informative, preventive and educational.
Disabling functional cookies results in a degraded display of our website. Functional cookies allow certain features to be performed, such as displaying videos, sharing website content on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.