FAQ Evolis Radar Speed Sign
Why does my community need a radar speed sign?
Radar speed signs are proven to be effective traffic calming devices that help reduce speeding. Common scenarios that could benefit from a radar speed sign are:
- In response to community / neighborhood complaints about excessive speeding
- To secure an area that is susceptible to excessive speeding or to accidents due to speeding
- As an aid to small police departments, that cannot simultaneously secure all of their roads susceptible to speeding infractions.
- To help motorists acclimate to local speeds when crossing through towns while still on a highway.
- Soft enforcement, to help educate speeding drivers rather than take repressive action
- To collect traffic data: helpful in aiding police departments track speed peaks to follow with additional enforcement; in reaction to complaints from neighborhoods; to study the road use and traffic affluence in specific areas.
As a cost effective alternative to noisy speed bumps in neighborhoods.
What kind of communities can benefit from a radar speed sign?
Any kind of community or customer can benefit from radar speed signs: Municipalities, Townships, Cities, Counties, Councils, Industries, Schools, Hospitals, Airports, etc… Anywhere there is a road, there is a risk of speed infraction which could benefit from a radar speed sign.
The core market for these type of traffic calming devices, are communities of 5,000 residents or less, as they often have a main road or highway crossing through them, which makes them susceptible to speed infractions. A radar speed sign is the most cost effective and efficient traffic calming solution on the market.
This traffic calming device’s efficiency is also proven to be very effective in urban settings. With the initiative taken by many cities nation-wide to lower speed limitations, local governments are investing in radar speed signs to help acclimate residents to the new speed limits.
How to choose a radar speed sign?
All Radar Speed Signs have the same objective of reducing speeding. The traffic calming effect is optimized by the following factors. Please note that the quality of these features vary greatly from one company / product to another.
- The radar’s detection range
- The quality of the display for optimized visibility
- The additional features which help enhance driver awareness.
It has been proven, that the longer a driver is confronted with their speed, the more effective the radar will be at getting them to slow down. Therefore, a radar’s efficiency is dependent on the detection range of the radar and on the distance of the display’s visibility / legibility.
Basic Radar Speed Signs have a detection range of less than 300ft, whereas the Evolis can detect a vehicle approaching at over 800ft! But once the vehicle is detected, the thickness and brightness of the LEDs on the speed display will determine the legibility of the digits. The majority of Radar Speed Signs have one row of LEDs but the Evolis Radar Speed Sign boasts three rows, of ultra-bright LEDs for a legibility of over 600ft!
Unlike other models, the Evolis augments the driver’s awareness by featuring three colors on the speed display, to trigger a psychological response through color association. Green: Good! Amber: Caution. Red: Danger! (Depending on your DOT’s regulations, this feature can be configured to display amber only). So even if a car is detected by the radar at over 800ft, the driver may not be able to read the digits at first, but they will have an emotional response to the color displayed and this will help with their behavior adjustment.
Another powerful feature the Evolis Radar Speed Sign includes, is the simultaneous display of text messages associated with the displayed speed, to help reinforce driver awareness. The messages are pre-programmed to display “THANK YOU,” “SLOW DOWN,” and “TOO FAST” in association with the driver’s speed in accordance to the set speed limit. These messages are updated, like the speed display, every second, in reaction to the driver’s change of speed. The messages are also, entirely programmable and can be personalized to the administrator’s preferences. Some police departments have found that displaying a ticket price simulation message to coincide with speeding, dramatically reduces the driver’s speed, example: “FINE $175!” (Depending on your DOT’s regulations, this feature can be turned off, or another Evolis model could be recommended, just ask your sales representative for details).
What makes the Evolis radar speed sign more effective than other radar speed signs?
Within a dense market of radar speed signs, the Evolis stands apart, unrivalled in quality, features and value, attested by our thousands of satisfied customers worldwide.
As the most versatile and optimized radar on the market, the Evolis is ideal for all road types and environments whether rural, urban or industrial. Thanks to all of the great features included in each Evolis Radar Speed Sign pack, this particular radar is even more effective than the average radar speed sign, as it is proven to curb speed by 25% on average!
This efficiency is related to multiple factors including:
- The detection range of the radar and the visibility of the display (over 800ft)!
- The legibility of the display (600ft)
- As well as a multitude of exclusive features that provoke a psychological response from the driver such as:
- The display of his speed (most of the time the driver is unaware that he is speeding)
- The color association of the display whether: green for positive, amber for neutral, or red for negative
- The messages to help reinforce the driver’s speed correction
- The ambiguity regarding further repressive / enforcement actions (cameras, tickets, near-by cruisers, etc.)
So why is the Evolis radar speed sign the best on the market?
In addition to the proven effectiveness of radar speed signs as a traffic calming device, the Evolis Radar Speed Sign is always sold as a full option package, which includes a multiple of unique features such as:
- Tri color: the speed digits will change from green, to amber and to red, in reaction to the driver’s speed depending on the road’s speed limit in the given zone. After years of driving, and / or road travel and use, the brain is trained to associate these colors with these actions automatically.
- Messages: pre-programmed messages are simultaneously displays in conjunction with the driver’s speed depending on the road’s speed limit in the given zone. The pre-programmed messages display “THANK YOU,” “SLOW DOWN,” and “TOO FAST.” The messages are also, entirely programmable and can be personalized to the administrator’s preferences. Some police departments have found that displaying a ticket price simulation message to coincide with speeding, dramatically reduces the driver’s speed, example: “FINE $175!” These messages are updated, like the speed display, every second, in reaction to the driver’s change of speed. (Depending on your DOT’s regulations, this feature can be turned off, or another Evolis model could be recommended, just ask your sales representative for details).
- Ultra-bright, 3-row thick, LED speed digits: for higher visibility and legibility from a further distance, which increases the traffic calming effect
- School zone / Timer Mode: personalized program which automatically changes the speed thresholds and messages at a desired time of day, to help further decrease speeding in specific areas at specific times.
- Traffic Data Collection: Each Evolis Radar Speed Sign includes traffic data collection! The radar collects traffic data for both directions of the road and can store up to 1 million vehicles in its memory! The traffic data collection feature includes easy-to-use software that analyses the recorded information and turns it into charts and graphs showing the average and fastest speeds and percentiles, as well as traffic volume. This information is in pdf format and can easily be printed off for traffic reports. The traffic data can be downloaded using Bluetooth, our smart phone application or with usb. There are no subscription fees for this service and all of the updates are free for life! Please note that radar speed signs from other companies do not automatically include traffic data collection and those that do, impose an enormous yearly subscription fee per unit!
- User-Friendly: no need to be a traffic engineer, electrician, or a rocket scientist! The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is extremely easy to install and to operate including:
- An optimized design with a priority on ease-of-use
- Universal mounting kit that makes installation a breeze
- Logical and simple instructions for installation and set-up
- Easy-to-use software for traffic data and radar configuration
- The help of our amazing tech team if needed for further assistance.
- Urban furniture: it doesn’t just work, it looks good doing it! The Evolis Radar Speed Sign’s was designed by a world-famous industrial designer, who transformed this technologically advanced traffic calming tool into an aesthetically pleasing example of urban furniture that integrates seamlessly into its environment. A badge of honor for your community, proof of your local government’s esteem for its citizens.
- Because you just can’t beat the price for the quality and quantity of features each pack includes! The Evolis: the most efficient radar speed sign on the market, just so happens to be the best deal too!
How long is a radar speed effective for in a certain area?
A radar speed sign is effective immediately after installation, and its impact is effective in the long term. Studies have been conducted that prove that radar speed signs in general, remain effective even after long term placement. To evaluate the effectiveness of a radar speed sign in the long term, two types of drivers must be defined:
- Regular users (residents, etc.) are confronted with their speed on a daily or highly frequent basis. This has a conscious effect though the impact of visual stimulation, and a subconscious effect, as a constant reminder of potential dangerous behavior. Their daily compliance will be rewarded with a friendly message of encouragement “thank you”.
- Transit traffic or infrequent users, that may violate the speed limit due to un-familiarity with the area’s speed limit or general ignorance, will be surprised by the presence and the reaction of the radar speed sign, which will publicly display their speed, making them aware of their infraction on a conscious and sub-conscious level, and of course, suggest the ambiguity of the further enforcement of their infraction.
The Evolis further maintains this effectiveness thanks a multitude of exclusive features that provoke a psychological response from the driver such as:
- The display of his speed: most of the time the driver is unaware that he is speeding but if they are aware, being confronted with publicly visible proof that they are speeding, triggers mindfulness and associated guilt, which will help correct the behavior.
- The color association of the display whether: green for positive, amber for neutral, or red for negative. After years of driving, and / or road travel and use, the brain is trained to associate these colors with these actions automatically.
- The messages to help reinforce the driver’s speed correction. A message directed to the driver, opens an internal conversation even on a subconscious level.
To test the Evolis Radar Speed Sign’s efficiency, simply put it in Stealth-Mode! The Evolis radar will appear to be off, as the speed and the message displays will be blank, but the radar itself will continue to collect traffic data. This will allow the administrator to conduct studies on its efficiency. The numbers will shock you!
At Elan City, 41% of our customers, re-order another Evolis radar within 16 months of their initial purchase. The proof is in the numbers…
Is a radar speed sign efficient for every kind or level of speeding?
Yes it is! There are various types and reasons for speed infractions and the Evolis Radar Speed Sign is adapted to address all of these scenarios through its many special features that help correct the driver’s behavior.
- Minor speed infractions, are often caused by drivers that are unaware of their speeding. The Evolis Radar Speed Sign offers soft enforcement, a friendly reminder, to help make them aware of their speed and to remind them to slow down.
- Major speed infractions, of 10mph+ over the speed limit, are usually perpetrated by ignorant drivers that are quite aware of their infraction. In this case, the calming effect is mostly created by the fear of possible enforcement and the public display of their infraction on the radar, triggering a self-conscious reaction. (For drivers going excessively fast, the anti-racing mode will activate, causing the speed display to go blank with just the messages displaying “Too Fast!”).
Is the Evolis radar speed sign for portable or permanent use?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is ideal for permanent or portable use, as it is adapted for either, thanks to the various power source options, included easy-to-install mounting equipment, and the radar’s light-weight design. There are various types of speeding related scenarios that can benefit from an Evolis Radar Speed Sign, and different projects require different portability options.
- Permanent Placement: a typical permanent installation scenario for radar speed signs, are communities wishing to secure the entries of a highway that intersects their community, as these zones are commonly prone to speed infractions. The Evolis Radar Speed Sign can either be connected to the city lighting for this scenario, or for fully autonomous use, we recommend the Solar-option.
- Semi-Permanent Placement: Some communities desire the option of occasionally rotating their radar speed sign to different locations, in order to secure a particular zone for a specific event or time period or to conduct studies on said road. Depending on the frequency of the rotation, a community can choose from either the fully autonomous Evolis Radar Speed Sign Solar-option or the fully, battery-operated Evolis Radar Speed Sign option.
- Frequent Placement Rotation: a response or action to a specific zone or neighborhood’s complaints of speeding can be efficiently addressed with the punctual placement of a radar speed sign for a specific period of time. And with the Evolis Radar Speed Sign’s traffic data collection and included software, reports can easily be made to help conclude the study of the traffic’s adjusted behavior.
What are the different power options for the Evolis radar speed sign?
There are three power source options for the Evolis Radar Speed Sign packages:
- Solar: This fully autonomous option includes a 32 X 37 inch, 80W solar panel and two 12V/22AH batteries. The pack also includes the traffic data collection and all of the standard pack features.
- AC Mobile: This option is fully battery-operated while maintaining the possibility of a standard AC electrical connection. It includes four 12V/22AH and an external battery charger. The pack also includes the traffic data collection and all of the standard pack features.
- AC: This fully autonomous and ultra-low-power consuming option requires an electrical connection and includes one 12V/22AH battery. The pack also includes the traffic data collection and all of the standard pack features.
Which power source option is most adapted to my project?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is available in three different power source options, making it ideal for permanent or portable use. The choice depends on the power source availability on location and how frequently the radar will be moved. To help decipher which pack is most suitable for your project, reference the questionnaire below:
Will the radar be moved to various locations?
No. the radar is for permanent placement.
↘ Is there power available on location?
→ Yes: AC Pack
→ No: Solar Pack
Yes. The radar will be moved to different locations.
↘ Occasionally (less than twice a month):
→ Solar Pack
↘ Frequently (more than twice a month):
→ AC Mobile Pack
What type of zones can benefit from the installation of an Evolis radar speed sign?
Thanks to the versatility of the Evolis Radar Speed Sign, there are endless possible scenarios that could benefit from its placement, some of which include:
- Village / Town entries: A typical installation scenario for radar speed signs, are communities wishing to secure the entries of a highway that intersects their community, as these zones are commonly prone to speed infractions. The sign reminds the motorists that the speed limit is changing. The Evolis Radar Speed Sign can either be connected to the city lighting for this scenario, or for fully autonomous use, we recommend the Solar-option.
- School zones: Even slight speeding can be dangerous in school zones, as children are crossing and they can be unpredictable and harder to see. The Evolis Radar Speed Sign includes a lifesaving feature: the School Zone Mode / Timer Mode, which will automatically change the speed threshold and messages at a certain time of day. The messages can be programmed to warn drivers of the school zone and / or presence of children.
- Construction Zones: A strategically placed Evolis Radar Speed Sign will help slow down drivers and protect workers in construction zones or roadworks areas. The messages can be programmed to warn oncoming drivers of the zone and the presence of workers on the road.
- Neighborhoods: Residential areas are often prone to speeders passing through, perhaps unaware of the danger this causes to local residents, particularly children and the elderly. Residential associations and HOAs must go through many procedures with their local government to get help with traffic calming solutions and are often proposed costly, and noisy speed bumps. The radar speed sign is a fraction of the cost, and is much easier for a neighborhood to obtain. And for police departments, the traffic data reports from the Evolis Radar Speed Sign, will analyse the traffic behavior and provide information showing peeks in speeding at specific times or days, which can be followed by additional police enforcement.
- Industries: The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is incredibly versatile in its use and features, and is perfectly adaptable for industrial use both indoors and outdoors. The radar can detect any type of vehicle, including fork lifts and other industrial vehicles, and it will take into account multiple wagons as one unit, with speed detection beginning at only 3mph! And the LEDs are unaffected by indoor neon lights. Evolis Radar Speed Sign are currently being used in many industrial settings including factories such as Nike, and in many airports nationally and internationally, such as the Montreal Airport, the Paris Airport and the Seattle Airport.
What precautions are needed when choosing a location?
Whenever installing an Evolis Radar Speed Sign, certain precautions must be applied, such as:
- The Evolis Radar Speed Sign must be installed safely on the side of the road, at least 3 feet away from the road, to avoid clipping from passing vehicles, and no further than 9ft from the road, to avoid insufficient detection range.
- The Evolis Radar Speed Sign must be placed to detect oncoming traffic, and be perpendicular to the road’s axis.
- The Evolis Radar Speed Sign must be perfectly visible and should not interfere with the readability of other road signs already in place. And for better efficiency, the Evolis Radar Speed Sign should be placed somewhere that is free from permanently placed obstructions (trees, etc…) or parked cars.
- The Evolis Radar Speed Sign must be placed at least 8ft off the ground from the bottom of the radar for two reasons: the higher up the sign, the further the visibility, (the longer a driver is confronted with their speed, the more efficient it is at getting them to slow down), secondly, the radar speed sign is best out of arm’s reach to avoid potential interference.
How does a radar speed sign work?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is equipped with a Doppler radar antenna within it. This radar emits magnetic waves that echo onto the first moving vehicle. Depending on the frequency of the returning wave, the speed is calculated precisely (with a less than 1% margin of error). This information is then sent to the display. The speed is then calculated in real-time but the display is refreshed once per second for better visibility.
How accurate is the speed displayed by an Evolis radar speed sign?
The speed displayed by any radar speed sign depends on the quality of the Doppler antenna and to the display’s refresh rate. The quality of these two aspects dictates the level of the reading’s accuracy.
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is at the highest level of accuracy, to any comparable (non-calibrated) product on the market, with an accuracy reading of 99%! This ensures a greater calming effect as drivers consider their displayed speed to be accurate. And this reading accuracy also helps provide reliable traffic data reports.
How do motorists and residents feel about radar speed signs?
Radar speed signs have been around for over a decade, and thanks to their proven efficiency, effective immediately upon installation, the amount of communities adopting this type of traffic calming solution has grown exponentially every year. Many studies have confirmed that over 90% of the surveyed communities, have considered the radar speed sign: informative, preventive and educational. Thus, for a large majority, the installation of a radar speed sign is justified and welcomed.
Community residents, appreciate the immediate positive effect the radar speed sign has on the previously dangerous road tarnished by regular speed infractions. The regular users of the road that is benefiting from the installation of an Evolis Radar Speed Sign in particular, also appreciate the reward for compliance offered by the friendly message of encouragement “Thank You”.
And although, these devices are generally placed in areas susceptible to speeding, the majority of the speeding is minor (10mph over the speed limit or less). These minor infractions are caused by drivers that are most likely unaware of their speeding. The radar speed sign offers soft enforcement, a friendly reminder, to help make them aware of their speed and to remind them to slow down. This is appreciated, by the driver, as in these cases, they were not consciously committing an infraction and the sign offers the opportunity to self-correct their behavior.
Transit traffic or infrequent users of the said road, that may violate the speed limit due to un-familiarity with the area’s speed limit or general ignorance, will be surprised by the presence and the reaction of the radar speed sign, which will publicly display their speed, making them aware of their infraction on a conscious and sub-conscious level, and of course, suggest the ambiguity of the further enforcement of their infraction.
What about the racing effect?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is equipped with an anti-racing threshold automatically configured into the radar. The radar’s display board will go blank, if the on-coming vehicle is approaching at a speed at 20mph above the set speed threshold. The Evolis Radar Speed Sign can be configured to the administrator’s preference, to cut off at even lower speed if desired.
What kind of traffic data does the evolis radar speed sign collect and record?
Each Evolis Radar Speed Sign includes traffic data collection! The radar collects traffic data for both directions of the road and can store up to 1 million vehicles in its memory! The traffic data collection feature includes easy-to-use software that analyses the recorded information and turns it into charts and graphs showing the average and fastest speeds and percentiles, as well as traffic volume. This information is in pdf format and can easily be printed off for traffic reports. The traffic data can be downloaded using Bluetooth, or our smart phone application or with usb.
There are no subscription fees for this service and all of the updates are free for life!
Please note that radar speed signs from other companies do not automatically include traffic data collection and those that do, impose an enormous yearly subscription fee per unit!
How to install the Evolis radar speed sign?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign is very easy to install! Check out what Vince Milite, the Public Works Director of Hanover Township, PA had to say about it: “Our new Evolis Radar Speed Sign from Elan City only took 15 minutes to install on to one of our posts. All I have to say is WOW!!! Thank you again!”
Each radar is equipped with a mounting kit which includes a universal mounting bar. This bar can be adapted to nearly any type of pole or post using pole straps (which we do not provide but are easy to find at any hardware store).
Ideally, for solar, we recommend a minimum 5 inch wide, round pole, to provide maximum stability in case of very bad weather. It is possible though to mount the radar to a square post / u-channel as well. Your customer sales representative would be happy to send you these instructions if you would like.
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign instructions are very intuitive and easy to follow, although if you require any additional help, the tech team here would be happy to assist you! Email: email@example.com
How to install the Evolis radar speed sign?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign and all of its components, including the batteries, are specially designed to withstand extreme weather. We have over 10,000 Evolis Radar Speed Signs installed worldwide in over 45 countries, including Northern Sweden and Dubai… – and they do great! All of the electronics, including the batteries are enclosed with the radar’s casing, protecting it from humidity, and extreme temperatures.
What kind of maintenance do the Evolis radar speed signs require? And what about the batteries?
The Evolis Radar Speed Sign includes a 2 year warranty, which covers any factory defects. Although, they are designed to last anywhere from 5 to 10 years! We even have some Evolis Radar Speed Signs that have been up and running for over 12 years now!
After the warranty has expired, all of the software updates are still available and free of charge! And if your Evolis Radar Speed Sign requires repair, we have a great tech team and in-shop repair service if needed. Just email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The batteries have a 6 month warranty but they last an average of 2 to 5 years depending on the radar’s use. The batteries we use are very high in quality, and specially designed for the Evolis Radar Speed Sign. If you wish to replace your battery or to order extras, they are always available for sale. Please contact your sales representative for more information.
Are additional and / or replacement products and accessories available for purchase?
Yes! If you have misplaced or would like to replace an accessory, please contact your customer sales representative. Please note that our accessories are extremely high quality and specially made for the Evolis Radar Speed Sign. The following accessories are available for order at any time:
- Mounting Bar
- Solar Panel Bracket
- Batteries (12V/22AH)
- Battery Charger
- Battery Casing Keys
- Replacement Freight Box and Packaging
If you would like to upgrade or modify your product’s power source, please contact your customer sales representative.
Improve circulation and communication with your constituentswithin your community
Thanks to the pooling of technologies proven in radar speed signs (electronic, mechanical, software, etc.), we offer you a range of complementary products benefiting from the same reliability as our radar speed signs at very competitive prices.